Flood prevention in Hua Hin Municipal Area and Klaikangwon Palace
There was a big flood during October 14-16, 1999 in Hua Hin Subdistrict Municipal area and Klaikangwon Palace, due to bad draining system. HM. the King has order Mr. Dissathorn Watchrothai, Director of Royal Private Affairs and Mr. Wisan Maitriyuenyong, senior engineer of Irrigation Department to work together with Hua Hin Municipality on a flood prevention project for Hua Hin and Klaikangwon Palace areas.
After the meeting on November 16, 1999, Mr. Dissathorn Watchrothai, Director of Royal Private Affairs, has requested that responsible departments start work on the flood prevention project at once in accordance with HM. the King’s order. The work on the project took place in Hua Hin, Nongkae sub districts, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khirikhan Province, which were in the past repeatedly flooded. Here were objectives of the project;
1. To prevent flood in economic important areas by directing rainfall into drain canal along the west side of railway road and into renovated natural canals.
2. To make the drain system more effective and capable of absorbing more rain water during rainy season in Hua Hin Sub District Municipal Area.
3. To assist local resident affected by flood during rainy season.
The municipal zone has a basin area which capable of storing 60 cubic m. of water. It was affected by monsoons and tropical cyclones, which were main causes of heavy rain and flood in the area. In addition various construction built by local resident were obstructing natural drain canals and the rain water was not able to drain into the sea.
Construction duration was divided into 3 phases;
Has started in 1999 and was focusing on drain system around Klaikangwon Palace. New drain canals have been build and roads around reservoir were increased in height in order to prevent flood. The waterway were able drain between 15 - 25 cubic meters / second into the sea. The reservoir was landscaped into recreation area for Hua Hin residents known as “Suan Chaloem Prakiat Jedsibsong Phansa” or 72th Birthday Anniversary Celebration Park.
During 2001 – 2002 renovation of 4 natural canals (Huai Sanambin, Klong Khokkuae, Klong Bangkwian Hug, Klong Nin) took place. Those canals become drain canals draining rain water into the sea in the North of Hua Hin,. At the same time Takiap Canal has been renovated for the same purpose.
In 2007, drain system in the South of Hua Hin was transformed into covered canal along railway road in the South to join Khao Takiap Canal
“Suan Chaloem Prakiat Jedsibsong Phansa”
or 72th Birthday Anniversary Celebration Park.
Klaikangwon Palace Draining System Map
1. Hua Hin drain canals were constructed with a budget of 40.299 M. baht. 8.115 km. long drain canal from the west of railway road (72.20 cubic meter / second) linked with natural canals; Klong Khokkuae, Klong Bangkwian Hug, Klong E-Ork and Klong Huai Sanambin which were linked with the sea. The construction was completed in 2001.
2. Renovation & Canalization of Klong Khok Kluae Canal with the budget of 3.565 M. baht, 1.370 km. long, 8.98 cubic meter / second of maximum draining capacity, it was completed in 2001.
3. Renovation & Canalization of Klong Bangkwian Hug Canal with the budget of 2.256 M. baht, 2.754 km. long, 58.71 cubic meter / second of maximum draining capability, it was completed in 2001.
4. Renovation & Canalization of Klong E-Ork Canal (Klong Nin) with the budget of 3.108 M. baht, 1.560 km. long, 21.005 cubic meter / second of maximum draining capacity, it was completed in 2002.
5. Renovation & Canalization of Klong Huai Sanambin Canal with the budget of 5.741 M. baht, 1.324 km. long, 26.60 cubic meter / second of maximum draining capability, it was completed in 2002.
6. Renovation & Re-canalization of Takiap draining canal, 3.400 km. long, 33.50 cubic meter / second of maximum draining capacity (as the old design), draining from Hua Hin railway station to Takiap Canal and out to the sea. Due to the land problem, the project was not as effective as it should be, therefore the drain outlet was then re-considered.
7. Renovation & Canalization of Klong Thiam Canal, in the budget of 3.108 M. baht, 0.70 km. long, 51.57 cubic meter / second of maximum draining capacity, it was completed in 2004.
Preventing floods in economically important by directing rain water to the sea via drain canals.
Increase to the capacity of the drain system and preventing floods during rainy season in Hua Hin Sub District Municipal Area.
Providing relief to people affected by floods during rainy season.
Progress of the Project
Thanks to cooperation of Royal Irrigation Department 14 and Military Engineers' Department the flood prevention project was completed in 2007 and is preventing floods in Hua Hin District.
Reported by Natsupa Dechapanya
The material featured in this article is subjet to copyright protection and is protected by the Copyright Laws. A copyrighted work may not be copied, reproduced, distributed or publicly displayed without the consent of the author or copyright owner. Any unauthorized use of this website or any of its contents, in whole or in part, shall be considered copyright infringement. It is illegal for anyone to violate any of the rights provided by the copyright laws to the owner of this copyright.